Tea is grown all over the world and is basically derived from Camellia sinensis plant, which is a native to China and India.
Tea varies only because of the region where it is grown, time when it is harvested and the method used for processing.
Tea is consumed since ages as it is considered as key to good health, wisdom and happiness.
There are different types of Tea available:
- Green Tea -The most popular and widely consumed tea. It is made with steamed leaves.
- Black Tea – Is made with fermented tea leaves.
- White Tea- is uncured and un-fermented.
- Pu-erh Tea – is made from fermented and aged leaves.
- Oolong Tea – It is a mixture of black tea and green tea.
- Herbal Tea – is a beverage made from the infusion or decoction of herbs, spices, or other plant material in hot water, and usually does not contain caffeine.
Most of above mentioned tea are prepared without using milk.
In India, tea is relished in its very desi form like adrak chai (ginger tea), Masala Chai (spiced tea), elaichi chai (Cardamom tea). All of these are prepared using milk.
There is a lot of variation in the preparation of the tea from person to person in India. Some like to have tea with more milk, some with less milk, some prefer mild tea and some strong.
In Indian families the days starts with a sip of garma-garam Chai ( hot tea). Tea gives you the most needed kick to start your day with full of energy.
Similarly after a long tiring day, all you need is a cup of your type of chai (tea). Sipping the tea and unwinding is all you need.
We Indians do not have a fixed time points to have tea. It can be relished at any time of the day. The Guests are greeted with snacks accompanied with delicious tea. Serving the best cup of tea is a matter of pride for the host. And the guest remembers the taste for long time.
India masala (spiced) tea
In some regions of India Tea is made differently.
Gud gud chai from Ladakh is very popular among the localities. It is prepared using black tea, salt and butter. Salt provides electrolytes and butter provides much needed fat to keep the body warm in the harsh weather in Ladakh.
Ladakhi butter tea
Another type of exquisite tea is Kashmiri Kehwa. It is consumed in Kashmir mainly, but it has also got famous in rest of the India. Kehwa is caffeine free drink. You might have drunk all types of green tea but Kehwa is different from the rest due to its divine ingredients and taste.
Kashmiri green tea or Kehwa leaves
Kashmiri Green Tea (Kehwa) is a fat burner and digestive drink that improves concentration and fights stress. It energizes and has a warming effect. Kehwa helps to relieve headache and maintain fluid level in the body. It is an excellent anti-oxidant.
You can buy organic Kashmiri Kehwa @ http://www.puremart.in/kashmiri-green-tea/13/
Buy Pure and unadulterated Kashmiri Saffron @ http://www.puremart.in/saffron/2/
Kehwa preparation is very simple and can be easily prepared at home using common kitchen supplies. You may follow the simple recipe mentioned here.
Preparation Time: 10-12 minutes
Boiling Time : 10 minutes
• Kashmiri Tea (Kehwa) or Kashmiri Green tea- 2 pinches
• Saffron Strands (Kesar)- 2 pinches
• Green Cardamom (Chhoti elaichi) – 2 (coarsely crushed)
• Almonds or Badam- 8 (coarsely crushed)
• Cinnamon (Dalchini)- 1 stick
• Sugar- 2 tablespoons
• Boil 3 cups of water along with cinnamon, cardamom, Kesar (Saffron) and Kashmiri Tea (Kehwa) leaves
• Leave to boil and infuse for 8-10 minutes
• In 4 cups add small quantity of coarsely crushed almonds. Strain the boiling infusion into each cup.
• Serve hot and enjoy the heavenly tea.
Kehwa is drunk very often during the winters and is kept in a big vessel called Samovar , which is a kettle to brew, boil and serve Kashmiri Kehwa.
Image : Google
Now a days Green Tea is very popular due to its health benefits, few are listed below.
- It decreases blood cholesterol
- It can reduce body fat.
- It has anti-cancer properties
- It is an antioxidant
- Prevents tooth decay,
- It has antibacterial property
- It has anti-influenza effect
- It inhibits high blood pressure
- It has anti-hyperglycemic effect
- It prevents bad breath.
- Increases alertness
- Increases stamina
- Prevents hangover
- Its mild diuretic
- Maintenance of healthy skin and mucus membrane
- It aids in maintenance of nighttime vision
So drink Green Tea and boost your immune system.
Get healthy from inside and outside!